Well Here is my First Draft for the story....
Hansel, Gretel and the Poor Witch
While looking for some dinner the old lady said,
“Oh Dear, I have not eaten in days. If I don’t have a meal soon I will surely perish.”
She was a decrepit old woman with bloodshot eyes and thin grey hair. Moving slowly about the house that she had build of candies and treats, she hunched over the crutched that helped her stand. She was secretly a witch and had terrible vision but her sense of smell was strong. She had an undisclosed room in her house where she kept her spells and the organs of the children she had eaten for many years. Whenever she entered this room her true appearance was revealed. Her back would straighten and she would see herself as the tall and beautiful witch that she really was.
The witch had vowed to be kind and had refrained from eating children and for many years and because of this her true beauty was fading away. Every day she would go out make sure her house was in order but recently vandals had continuously been eating at her appetizing home. This was causing her heart to harden again and after several vandalisms she became outraged.
“I am sick of being kind. It has done me no good. The next person that I catch dining on my home will be eaten for sure.”
The next morning she was up as usual cleaning and heard someone nibbling at her house. She bellowed from within,
“Nibble, nibble, gnaw who is nibbling at my house”
Two voices replied,
“The wind, the wind, the heaven born wind”
And they continued to munch on her beautiful home.
The witch was furious and rushed out to finally catch culprits. She flung open the door and crept out as quickly and she could. To her surprise there were two children there savoring each bite, but when the boy, Hansel and girl, Gretel saw her they were afraid and dropped what was left in their hands. The witch was mischievous and said to the children,
“Oh! Dear children, who has brought you here? Do come in, and stay with me. No harm shall happen to you.”
She took their hands and led them into the house and prepared for them a feast. After devouring as much as they could, the witch set up to beds for them and they rested their heads.
The witch watched them sleep and planned her evil deed.
“I haven’t eaten a child in years. This will be a grand feast. I must prepare and get everything I need”
The morning came and she snatched up the Hansel and carried him out the door. She locked him in a stable with a gated door. He shrieked with fear to no avail because they were so deep in the wood that no one would hear him. The witch shuffled quickly back to the house and shook Gretel saying,
“Get up lazy thing and fetch some water and cook some food for your brother, he is in the stable outside. When he becomes fat I will eat him”
Gretel sobbed, but was forced to do as the old lady commanded. The witch fed Hansel the best food to fatten him up while giving poor Gretel only crab shell to eat. Each Day the old witch went to Hansel and said,
“Hansel, stretch out your finger that I may feel if you will soon be fat”
But Hansel was smart and knew she could not see so each day he stuck out a bone for her to feel. The witch was astonished that after many weeks Hansel was still thin so she told his sister,
“Whether Hansel is fat of thin I will eat him tomorrow.”
Gretel prayed for God to help them and went to fetch water for the witch.
Early the next morning the witch was conniving and heated the oven for baking. When Gretel awakened the witch she said to her,
“Gretel climb inside to see if the oven in heated well enough to bake the bread”
All the while, she was planning to push her in a let her bake so she could eat her too. Gretel said to the witch,
“I don’t know how I am to do it, how will I get in?
And the witch replied,
“Silly goose, the door is big enough. Just look, I can get in myself.”
The witch crept in and put her head in the oven. Then suddenly she felt a push from behind and the door to the oven slammed and locked. She shrieked and wailed as her body burned. She died and Hansel and Gretel ran away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked the idea of the secret room and that her true nature is revealed there. I was kind of confused about the sentence where it said because she was being good her beauty was fading away. Maybe you could use the room as a way the children get the witch to see her true self and stop herself from wanting to eat the children and maybe she'll stay beautiful forever if she does. maybe she opens up a kind of "soup kichen" for the hungrey travelers if she decides to mend her ways.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sassy, Those are good ideas, I was a bit confused about what he wanted us to do. I felt like if it was from a different perspective it would still end the same. You would just see it from a different vantage point. That is why I kept my story true to the original but limited to only what thw witch would have seen and experienced. Nevertheless, I will keep those ideas in mid when deciding on a final draft.
ReplyDeleteThank You
I to enjoyed your story, the way I took the part about the secret room where her true beauty was revealed was that she put a spell on herself to fool people into thinking she was an old woman so they would not be afraid of her if they ate her house because what can an old lady do? so it seems a way to trick people into getting close, I don't know but thats what i got. Another idea for you if you wanted to change the story more from the original, you could talk a little bit about after they escaped the witch, but its up to you, its good but just have fun with it :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Meggie, I appreciate youe comments...Onl thing is I stopped woth the kid getting away because I was writing from the witches perspective so since she dies she didnt get to see that.
ReplyDeleteok that makes sense i was just trying to give you more ideas cause your story was so good i needed something! :)
ReplyDelete