Fake Tattoo
by Nikki Grimes
My butterfly sits
atop my wrist
as if it’s poised for flight.
My lovely tattoo
no longer new
will fade before the night.
Still, after it’s gone,
it will live on
inside my memory.
This jewel of the air—
beauty most rare—
that once was plain as me.
I am not much of a reader so I usually will choose something that is short. I enjoy working with children and this particular poem reminded me of how my Pre-K students come to school with frayed and worn out tattoos on their arms, legs or hands. They are so excited about thier body art and they always want to tell you about them and show them to you. They never want them to come off and they do all they can to avoid getting water on them for fear that they will wash away. It is all very innocent and funny the way they try so hard to hold on the little things that are meant to be temporary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment